Monday, June 15, 2015

Blog Post 1: Technology Strengths and Weaknesses

As the title of this blog suggests, I am an enthusiastically novice technologist.  That being said, my weaknesses may outweigh my strengths.  To begin with, my lessons in class have included the use of creating word documents and utilizing the document camera to display information.  However, according to the International Society for Technology in Education (2015), I should be designing curriculum that allows students to explore and create their learning experiences (p.1).  I am guilty of providing minimal use of tools in the classroom that would allow for such progress to occur.  While I am keenly aware of constructing activities that meet multiple learning styles and provide ample opportunity for students to collaborate, the majority (approximately 80%) of student work centers around working in the form of paper, pencil and books.  Students are provided hands-on activities and visuals, yet they do not make use of technology, which could greatly improve their understanding of information.  It follows that since students do not use technology in my classroom, neither have I promoted digital citizenship and responsibility (ISTE, 2015).  Despite this downfall, I teach respect towards each other's beliefs, ideas and opinions, including respect for copyright laws.  With the majority of student work being done via the world wide web and electronics, it is necessary that I begin to tackle these issues through the appropriate tools for the 21st century.   As an educator, one of my strengths stems from my love of learning.  I have and continue to take courses that have required me compile a bank of digital tools and resources to facility life-long learning in my classrooms.  Thus far, I sought additional workshops to improve my use of technology in student-centered learning.  While I am slowly integrating these newly acquired skills into my curriculum, my objective is to make the integration of digital tools into my lessons a subconscious effort.  Part of overcoming my weaknesses is to continue to add these resources into my classroom.  Practice makes perfect and just as I learned to become a better teacher after 10 years, I will learn to facilitate learning through technology.  There is so much more that I have yet to learn and so much that I do not realize I want to learn.  Each new class or workshop I attend, I add to my bank of information.  A pressing instructional strategy I would like to learn about technology is how to keep up with all the new advances without feeling overwhelmed.  The abyss is infinite but I would very much like to learn how to navigate the chasm. References International Society for Technology in Education. (2015). ISTE standards for teachers. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/ISTE-standards/standards-for-teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment